Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Chapter 10 - the true story of the beginning of the end

"Can I keep him? Please! Please! Please! I promise I will take care of him, feed him and all… pleaaaaeseeee!"

And that’s how Adam with those Me-awful puppy eyes came into our world. He frolicked around in his native state – learning all the tricks, teaching Eve a few. He soon made a place for himself in everybody’s heart. But he was always Eve’s favourite. True to her promise she looked after him – but she never did learn to say No to him. Those puppy eyes, those perked up ears, he did it all with a smile on that furry face … and she was blamed for all his misbehavior. After all, he was her pet.  

There was only one that couldn't stand Adam was Serpy. That devious Reptile! But can one really blame him? He was Eve’s only companion before Adam appeared. It was a classic case of sibling rivalry. I have seen it happen again and again. Cain and Abel went the same way and so did many more after them. But coming back to the story. Serpy tempted Adam with the one thing that was forbidden to him – never climb the apple tree. Adam, good pet that he was, didn’t. But neither could he stop yearning after those me-damned apples. So he turned to Eve – and Eve hapless against his drooping face, gave one to him.

What could I do? I had forbidden it. They had to be punished. Otherwise we would have Adam on the apple tree all the time and soon there would be no apple tree left. And what would Eden be without its apple tree?  Or earth for that matter. I had seen what the mortal Newton would do – it all depended on the apple tree. No. I could not let Adam climb the apple tree again. He had to be punished. And so did Eve.

So I banished them both. How I wish I had not given in to Eve’s pleadings and not let that boy in. But then I too had a father’s heart. Serpy came crawling to me full of repentance. But the harm was done. Eden was left empty and Serpy all alone.



No comments:

Post a Comment